Show off your holiday lights and you could win an iPad! Enter your photo by December 13. Winner will be selected by popular vote.
Five people have been displaced following a fire at the Stratford Park apartments that caused about $155,000 in damage.
Friday, April 19, 2013
A fire at the Stratford Park apartments in Roanoke displaced five people Friday afternoon, sending one person to the hospital.
According to Roanoke Fire-EMS spokeswoman Tiffany Bradbury, crews responded to the 3800 block of Stratford Park Drive about 12:10 p.m. They found a fire in an upstairs apartment that had spread to the building's attic.
Bradbury said crews controlled the fire in about 15 minutes. She said the apartment sustained fire, smoke and water damage. A downstairs apartment also sustained water damage.
One person was inside the apartment where the fire started and was taken to a local hospital for smoke inhalation, Bradbury said.
Firefighters rescued two dogs, Bradbury said, then gave them oxygen with pet oxygen masks.
The apartment complex is assisting the five people displaced in the blaze, Bradbury said.
The cause of the fire has been ruled as accidental and was started by the exhaust ceiling fan, Bradbury said. Damage was listed at about $155,000.
Liana Bayne contributed to this report.
Weather JournalEarly mix, then ice storm Sunday