Win tickets to see the smash hit musical Mamma Mia at the Roanoke Civic Center. Two winners will each receive four tickets!
Paul Anthony Burger, 45, was charged Feb. 3 after a woman said they went together into the Wells Fargo tower on Jefferson Street where, she told investigators, he attacked her.
Wednesday, July 31, 2013
A rape charge has been dismissed against a man who was accused of sexually assaulting a woman in downtown Roanoke earlier this year.
Paul Anthony Burger, 45, was charged Feb. 3 after a woman said they went together into the Wells Fargo tower on Jefferson Street where, she told investigators, he attacked her. She said she fled to the police department on Campbell Avenue, and she was later taken by authorities to Carilion Roanoke Memorial Hospital.
The charge was dismissed Thursday, online court records show.
Roanoke Commonwealth’s Attorney Donald Caldwell said the woman moved to another state after filing the report. While she maintained contact with police for a time, she has since fallen out of communication with them, Caldwell said.
Burger was arrested a few hours after the attack was reported, in the 800 block of Ferdinand Avenue, about a mile and a half away from where the alleged incident occurred.
He was also charged that night with being drunk in public. He was convicted of the misdemeanor offense in April in Roanoke General District Court and fined $94.
Weather JournalStorm track isn't very snowy for us