Win tickets to see the smash hit musical Mamma Mia at the Roanoke Civic Center. Two winners will each receive four tickets!
Saturday, September 7, 2013
An investigation headed by the Virginia State Police has concluded that human error contributed to a fire at a Smyth County apartment complex that killed a toddler and injured three members of her family earlier this week.
State police spokeswoman Corinne Geller said the blaze at Country Club Crossing Apartments in Marion has been ruled accidental.
“It was just a terrible accident,” Geller said.
No additional details about exactly what happened were released.
The Marion Police Department, Smyth County Sheriff’s Office and the state police Bureau of Criminal Investigation’s Wytheville Field Office were involved in the investigation.
Abigail Dove Mardis, 2, was pronounced dead at the scene. Her mother, Elizabeth LeSueur; grandmother, Sandra LeSueur; and brother, Jacob Mardis, 3, escaped by jumping out of a window, but neighbors said the little girl wouldn’t follow their lead.
The family’s second-story unit in the F building was pinpointed as the primary scene of the fire, which eventually spread to three other units and displaced 25 residents.
Weather JournalBreather before next wintry system